Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Google Analytics - intro

I am working on the web for more than 11 years. Trough the time I've seen lot of scripts and software for analyzing visitors. Most of this products are giving data like page hits and visitors data, some of them are drawing charts, but very few of them are giving conclusions and are easily to cheat, what makes them not reliable. I own web server, running apache and I use webalizer for analyzing web logs made by the server. I was wondering which is more accurate, google analytics or my web server? After several weeks of comparing google analytics and webalaizer analytics, I still can't decide what to use. To be honest, google analytics is more fancy, providing more data like returning users for example, depth of visit, connection type?! etc. All of data Google Analytics process is gathered trough script provide by google analytics and placed on your page(s). I am wondering what happens with all of those users who visits your site and have set their browsers to block Google scripts? Where do they go? Is Google aware of them? Does google know how many are they? I guess no, but my web server is fully awear of every single hit, logs it and webalizer is doing the rest of processing. Further more, I can process error_log, to see what were visitors trying to do or see on my mysite. Google analytics simple can't do this. Maybe it will be good moving ahead if google have access to my weblogs and anlyze them, but in that case their cookie based analytics are not possible. Maybe if they use both, thier script and weblogs we can expect very good results and analytics.
So if you can use both of these services it will be very good advantage for you. But, not evry one have chance to access weblogs and google analytics at same time.
Anyway, I can recommend Google analytics as one very powerful tool for webmaster and companies, especially if using campaigns, adwords and so on. In my article I will tell you lot more about this service. This small intro is just for beginning.

1 comment:

TopCat said...

good job igor..

keep up with the good work and maybe it will pay up someday ;)

it would be also good if you sometimes showed up on msn, cuz i have some questions for you :P